Wednesday 14 January 2009

Changing the routing table XP

This is a neat tick shown to me by Alex Norcliffe.

Environment: My laptop has to connect to SVN via my wireless connection while all other requests can go through the local LAN connect on my laptop. I am using Tortoise SVN to access my SVN repository. The LAN connects through a proxy to the Internet so I thought changing the Tortoise SVN proxy settings would allow me to just use the LAN connection, but unfortunatley the proxy doesn't allow SVN requests.

Solution:
So using both connections (Wireless and LAN) Alex changed the routing table so only SVN request get redirect via the wireless. This is how he did it:

1. Command prompt
2. Type: route print (This will bring up the routing table list)
3. Ping the SVN URL to get the IP address
4. Add a new route entry by typing: route add SVN_IP mask 255.255.255.255 WIRELESS_IP
5. Test by typing: tracert SVN URL

No comments: